We all know Newport is a wonderful destination for adults...but there's also great adventure for kids. Although the Beech Tree Inn & Admiral Sims Bed & Breakfast specialize in quiet getaways for couples, we also welcome families. Here's some ideas for fun with kids!
Tours are fascinating!
- Newport Tree Walks –history & nature can't be beat, www.newportarboretum.org/
- Newport Historical Society – great walking tour 127 Thames, 841-8770, www.NewportHistoryTours.org/
- Fort Adams - 367-0038, www.fortadams.org - ramparts, tunnels, tour of granite fort
- Ghost Tours of Newport – scary history is fun, 841-8600, www.ghostsofnewport.com/
- Viking Trolley Tours – take a trolley! Visitors' Center, 847-6921, www.vikingtoursnewport.com/
- International Yacht Restoration School IYRS – boats! 449 Thames St, 848-5777, www.iyrs.edu/
- Old Colony & Newport Railway – 23 America's Cup, 295-1203, www.TrainsRI.com
- Newport Pedi Cab – transport by bike! Bannister's Wharf, 432-5498, www.newportpedicab.com/
- The Elms – Rooftop & Behind the Scenes Tour is interesting, 847-1000,www.newportmansions.org/
- Astor's Beechwood Mansion – recreates 1890s life, 580 Bellevue, 846-3772
- Breaker's – Stable & Carriage House has coaches & carriages, Bateman & Coggeshall, 847-1000
- Amazing Grace Harbor Tour – Oldport Marine (Mooring Rest), 847-9109, www.oldportmarine.com/
- Jamestown & Newport Ferry – 423-9900, www.jamestownnewportferry.com/
- Beaches (1st, 2nd & 3rd) and stop off at Purgatory Chasm on Purgatory Rd
- Sachuest Point Natl Wildlife Refuge – 769 Sachuest Pt Rd, 847-5511, www.fws.gov/sachuestpoint
- Norman Bird Sanctuary – 583 3rd Beach Rd, 846-2577, www.normanbirdsanctuary.org
- Cliff Walk – www.cliffwalk.com
- Ballard Park - Wickham Rd, 619-3377 - star gazing, tree safaris, movies!
- Gooseneck Cove - salt marshes on Hazard Rd - wading birds like egrets & herons!
- Gulls Baseball – 20 America's Cup, 845-6832, www.newportgulls.com
- Sail Newport - Fort Adams, 846-1983, www.SailNewport.org, take sailing lesson!
- Newport's Polo Club – 715 E Main, 847-7090, www.nptpolo.com
- Ten Speed Spokes – 18 Elm, 847-5609, www.tenspeedspokes.com
- Bike Newport - www.BikeNewportRI.com - gets maps & info
- Touro Park – see the mysterious Stone Tower, Bellevue
- Simmons Farm, 1942 W Main, 848-9910, www.simmonsfarm.com - petting zoo!
- Sweet Berry Farm, 915 Mitchell's Ln, 847-3912, www.sweetberryfarmri.com
- Rocky Brook Orchard, 997 Wapping Rd, 851-7989, www.rockybrookorchard.com
- Glen Farm, 715 E Main, 847-7090
- Newport Equestrian, 287 3rd Beach Rd, 837-4188, www.newportequestrian.com
- Escobar's Farm, 683-1444, www.escobarshighlandfarm.com
- Ocean Drive – Check out Eisenhower's Summer House at Ft Adams. Feed carrots to the animals at the old Hammersmith Farm (Jackie Kennedy's home). Visit the lighthouse at Castle Hill. Enjoy the kite sailing at Brenton Point State Park. Go to the Vintage Carousel at Easton's Beach. Fishing anyone?
Go Inside and eat, too...
- Newport Public Library – daily story hour, 300 Spring, 847-8720, www.newportlibraryri.org/
- Save the Bay Exploration Center & Aquarium – Easton Beach Rotunda, 324-6020, www.savebay.org
- Redwood Library – 50 Bellevue Ave, 847-0292, www.redwoodlibrary.org
- Ryan Family Amusement Center – 266 Thames St, 846-5774, www.ryanfamily.com
- Accidental Artist – create painted pottery – 516 Thames, 848-2501, www.theaccidentalartist.org
- Ben's Chili Dogs – 158 Broadway, 846-8206
- Nikolas Pizza – 38 Memorial, 849-6611, www.nikolaspizzanewport.com/
- Anthony's Seafood – 963 Aquidneck, 846-9620, www.anthonysseafood.net/
- Becky's Barbecue – 82 E Main, 841-9909, http://beckysbbq.com
- Handy Lunch – 462 Thames, 847-9480
- China Star III – 110 William St, 841-5556, www.chinastar3.com/ – Crab Rangoon a must!
- A1 Pizza – 306 Broadway, 849-2213, www.a1pizzanewport.com/
- Newport Creamery – 181 Bellevue or 280 W Main Rd, 846-2767, www.newportcreamery.com/