Romantic Weekend Away in Newport RI
Hit the road with your special someone for a romantic weekend getaway in New England — destination: Newport, Rhode Island. Centuries-old charm mixes with a contemporary coastal culture for a couple’s weekend full of seaside strolls and a progressive and delicious cuisine. The “City by the Sea” is steeped in a history of recreation and summer splendor: its stately mansions, cobblestone streets, and historic harbor that can’t be beat are wrapped into a local culture that lately accepts surf shacks readily as yacht clubs. Below are just a few ideas for how to spend a romantic getaway in Newport RI.
People-watching and window-shopping on Thames Street: The nerve center of Newport, a stroll up and down Thames Street is perfect introduction to your romantic weekend away. One of New England’s oldest streets, Thames Street was a main vein of the town’s commerce in its Gilded Age heyday. Today, the busy street is the center of Newport’s shopping and dining scene, and is well worth a stroll with your sweetheart and a stop for an ice cream cone or a cold beer. drop your bags at Beech Tree Inn & Cottage and walk to the action.
Dance like a local: After a warm summer sunset on Thames Street, bid farewell to the crowds and get caught up in the local scene on Broadway Avenue, and bring your dancing shoes! Fifth Element bumps with eclectic dance music and the clientele is mostly year-round residents looking to blow off some steam. Swing your partner into the wee hours, or head to the nearby Beech Tree Inn & Cottage for an early night.
Lifestyles of the rich: After a hearty breakfast at a classic Newport inn or B&B, seize the day with a morning walk hand-in-hand along the famous Newport Cliff Walk, with the ocean to your left and Gilded Age mansions to your right. More likely than not, you’ll be dying to hop the hedgerows and get a closer look at these architectural gems, so plan a visit to The Breakers or one of the other Newport Mansion tours. There is also the option for a two-wheeled adventure: rent bikes at Ten Speed Spokes and see more of the grandeur of Bellevue Avenue.
Lunch with a side of ocean breeze: A morning spent mansion-hopping is sure to work up any couple’s appetite, so make your way to the very end of Ocean Avenue for an al fresco lunch at the Castle Hill Inn. Lunch on The Lawn is served with a clear ocean view, from a menu inspired by fresh, local ingredients. Afterwards, pass the afternoon searching for Newport-made goodies to take home, from world-class cheeses, desserts, and wines. On Bellevue Avenue, you’ll find tea-infused peach truffles, artisanal honey from local beehives, and chevre to rival the French.
Artful evening: If you’ve still got room, Newport’s harbor is home to Newport’s fantastic surf and turf restaurants. After-dinner entertainment is easy to find at a showing at the Jane Pickens Theater, a nearly century-old theater housed in a renovated 18th century church. This art-house cinema features romantic classics, contemporary documentaries, and independent film and theater. Younger couples on a romantic weeked getaway will enjoy the stylish & design-driven rooms at Beech Tree Inn & Cottage.
The Newport Sunday Brunch: Start your Sunday morning with a fantastic Newport, Rhode Island, brunch downtown and then head out to the Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and the Norman Bird Sanctuary. A popular birdwatching spot in both summer and winter, nature trails wind through the salt marshes and beach strand habitats where visitors might see owls, deer, ducks and falcons.
Newport, RI, is one of the most romantic weekend destinations in New England. Intriguing history, natural beauty, elegant architecture, and a cozy couples’ feel make a weekend in Newport a treat for couples looking slow things down, or heat things up.
Want more ways to enjoy a romantic getaway in Newport?
· Put a little spice into your daily routine. Try a cooking class and learn a new recipe at Newport cooks. When you recreate this dish at home, you’ll always be reminded of your time in Newport.
· Enjoy catching up and reconnecting over a delicious cup of coffee at Coffee Grinder, one of Newport’s favorite local coffee shops. They always serve up authentic Italian espresso drinks and some of the best coffees in Newport; all prepared the way they were meant to be. It’s also a great place for dessert.
· Enjoy a blissful moment together with a couples massage at one of Newport’s local spas. Top choices include The Spa at Newport Marriott, or the Water Journey at Bodhi Spa. You can even enjoy a luxurious couples massage in the privacy of your own room at Beech Tree Inn & Cottage by calling us at 401-847-9794 for more information.
· Enjoy an evening of live music and cocktails at local establishments, such as Newport Blues Cafe or One Pelham East. You can always stay up to date with who’s playing where by checking out What’s Up Newport. They maintain an extensive calendar of events and activities in Newport.
· Wander along the brick and cobblestone walkways of Bowen’s Wharf, the cultural and economic heart of the Newport waterfront. There are wonderful shops and galleries to browse, and many incredible eateries when you need a bite to eat. Lobster rolls, clam chowder, a raw seafood bar, or just plain lobster fresh from the sea area real treat here.